2018-2019 OPERATING BUDGET
The Hazlet Township Board of Education adopted their 2018-2019 Operating Budget at the May 7, 2018 Public Hearing
Through our practice of conservative budgeting, proactive management of the budget, fiscal prudence, aggressive purchasing, cost avoidance and alternative revenues the District has been able to create a budget that increases the academic offerings and rigor for all of our students while maintaining minimal real estate tax increases inlight of nominal increases in state aid.
For Details on the 2018-19 budget please review: 2018-2019 User Friendly Budget
A full copy of the 2018-19 budget is available for review in the office of the School Business Administrator.
Educating our students…to achieve their maximum potential.
In the pursuit of excellence, the Hazlet Township Public School District, through a rigorous academic program with high expectations, will provide students with opportunities that lead them to become responsible, independent-thinking, global citizens. The school community will implement this vision through ongoing and honest self-reflection with a commitment to continuous improvement.
The Hazlet Township Public School District vision is one where:
- Students are actively engaged in developing twenty-first century skills.
- Communication among our community of learners is open and engaging.
- Rigor, relevance, and relationships are the cornerstone of our daily practice.
- Data-informed decision-making guides our path to continuous improvement.
- Challenging programs and relevant learning opportunities are provided for our community of learners.
- Active collaboration occurs with partners in Pre K-16 institutions, businesses, and community organizations on a local, regional, national, and global level.
- Staff members are committed towards achieving high expectations for themselves and our students and model the skills needed to inspire students to maximize their achievement.
- Academic Excellence
- Highly Effective Professional Staff
- Effective Communication with All Stakeholders
- Environment impacts learning.
- High expectations promote high achievement.
- Communities benefit when people act responsibly and respectfully.
- Education is a partnership among students, families, educators and the community.
- Commitment of resources to public education provides long-term benefits to society.
- Continuous improvement is achieved by promoting and managing change effectively.
- All students are capable of ongoing educational growth and behavioral improvement.
- Professional development that is personalized is a core tenet for creating highly effective staff.
The Superintendent’s budget recommendation is the result of an extremely important planning process. It is a statement that represents the culmination of the administration’s comprehensive review of our utilization of our resources to ensure that the children of Hazlet Township have not only an “adequate” education, but an education second to none. Therefore, as a leadership team we must take nothing for granted and devote ourselves to establishing a superior method for allocation of resources.
We do our best to make sure that our goals and objectives are matched with our available resources in a way that enhances our educational endeavors over time. Simply adding percentage increases over existing costs is not a financially prudent method of budgeting. We need to annually examine the prior year’s actual expenditures as well as current expenditures to date to systematically project the district’s needs into the future. We all must be prepared to re-evaluate these needs as conditions change. The budget includes a large amount of funding for technology purchases and facility improvements.
The budget process included a continued review of all of the district’s operations to ensure that our resources are being utilized as effectively and efficiently as possible.
Objectives of the Budget Process
As the budget process commences, the administration has four objectives to achieve:
- To articulate sound multi-year budgeting. This will be accomplished by assessing the attainment of previous goals and planning for the near future. In some areas, this may encompass a three to five year plan.
- Ensure all of these resources are expended in relation to the strategic plan of the district, the district goals, and are driven by student achievement. In order to do this, we need to assure adequate levels of measurement, data collection andanalysis.
- The budget process must readily provide our community with a confidence that our expenditures are aligned with student needs and are fiscally prudent.
- The budget process will demonstrate that the Administrative Team and the Board of Education have made sound budgeting decisions that are in the best short and long-term benefit to the community.
The methodological concept applied is one of modified-zero based budgeting for schools. This means that school budget requests for program maintenance will be evaluated on justification of expenses and the evaluation of total requested amounts against calculated allocations per school based on enrollment levels. If it is found that appropriate justification cannot be made, an adjustment of spending will occur. The administrative leader in each department is responsible to build a justification for both program maintenance and initiative budgets.
When developing budgets, the District utilizes these guidelines for determining needs:
- Level 1 budget priorities are those items required by law. An example of that would be special education related services or Core Content Requirements such as four years of English for graduation.
- Level 2 budget priorities are those that are required by Board Policy. We may require more units to graduate than does the state, therefore necessitating higher staffing levels.
- Level 3 budget priorities may not be either required by law or by policy, but the community has a high investment in them and therefore supports funding. Our extensive athletic program, incorporation of technology and performing arts are examples of level 3 budget priorities.