I will be conducting scoliosis screening for all 5th grade students.
Scoliosis is a curving of the spine commonly found during periods of rapid growth and can be identified by the following:
· Shoulders are different heights – one shoulder blade is more prominent than the other
· Head is not centered directly above the pelvis
· Appearance of a raised, prominent hip
· Rib cages are at different heights
· Uneven waist
· Leaning of entire body to one side
If left untreated, the condition may progress at a rapid rate. The purpose of the screening is to recognize it at its earliest stages.
The screening will be conducted during gym periods. Girls are encouraged to wear a bathing suit top or sports bra for the screening. Students may be exempt from the screening if requested in writing by the parent.
If you have any questions, please call me at 732-264-5050 x 4003 or email me at email@example.com.